With so many dog food products now available on the market, it can be a little overwhelming for many dog owners. Which will suit your dog best? Should you be choosing wet or dry dog food products, or possibly a mixture of both? At Country Boarding for Cats and Dogs, we have highlighted the benefits of both dry and wet dog food to help you decide. Enjoy!
What is Wet Dog Food?
Wet dog food is a moist edible option for dogs and comes in either a tin, tray or pouch and has a wetter consistency than dry alternatives.
What is Dry Dog Food?
Dry dog food exists in a hard, brittle form and is often referred to as kibble. Dry dog food usually comes in small dry bite size pieces and is packaged in bags.
Benefits of Wet Dog Food
- Higher moisture content: For dogs who do not drink enough water or suffer from medical conditions, such as urinary or kidney disease, then opting for a wet food diet is preferable.
- Palatability: For dogs who have lost their appetite or who may be sick, then it is suggested that wet dog food can be more palatable and appetising for them than dry food.
- Easier to chew: Wet dog food is easier to chew and digest especially for older dogs or pets suffering with dental disease.
Benefits of Dry Dog Food
- Tartar Breakdown: Many vets will recommend dry dog food as it encourages pets to chew their food which helps to prevent tartar from building up on their teeth.
- Portion Control: In comparison to wet dog food, kibble is easier for owners to measure and control the portion sizes when serving each meal. For this reason, dry dog food is often recommended for dogs who may be suffering from obesity and tend to graze.
- Cost Effective: Overall, dry dog foods prove more cost effective than wet dog foods and often last longer.
We hope you found this article informative. Whether you decide to feed your dog wet or dry food or even both, keep your canine companions needs in mind and if needed consult a qualified vet to recommend a food plan that is individually tailored to suit their specific eating requirements.
If you are interested in booking your dog a place at our secure dog park in Hertfordshire then speak with a friendly member of the team today on 01462 742658. We look forward to seeing you!